Hi

Cari G Kaufman wrote:
Hello,

Does anyone know how to make "movies" in R by making a sequence of plots? I'd like to animate a long trajectory for exploratory purposes only,
without creating a bunch of image files and then using another program to
string them together. In Splus I would do this using double.buffer() to
eliminate the flickering caused by replotting. For instance, with a 2-D
trajectory in vectors x and y I would use the following:

motif()
double.buffer("back")
for (i in 1:length(x)) {
  plot(x[i], y[i], xlim=range(x), ylim=range(y))
  double.buffer("copy")
}
double.buffer("front")

I haven't found an equivalent function to double.buffer in R.  I tried
playing around with dev.set() and dev.copy() but so far with no success
(still flickers).

Double buffering is only currently an option on the Windows graphics device (and there it is "on" by default). So something like ...

x <- rnorm(100)
for (i in 1:100)
  plot(1:i, x[1:i], xlim=c(0, 100), ylim=c(-4, 4), pch=16, cex=2)

is already "smooth"

Paul
--
Dr Paul Murrell