Liaw, Andy wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  I'm aware of almost all of those things you
mentioned, and have played with some of them.  I'm not looking to do
distributed computing within R at this point.  What I'm after, though, is
not really addressed by any of them.  I want a user to be able to start an
interactive R session on a compute node that the system determines
(dynamically) to be most available at the time.  That's what `beorun' does,
but I couldn't get it to run R interactively.

As an alternative suggestion, have you thought of using OpenMOSIX instead of your Beowulf tools? With an OpenMOSIX cluster your process runs on whichever processor is best for it, and jumps around as CPU availability within the cluster changes. If you've got a cluster with slow and fast processors, jobs will run on the fast processors first, no matter where the user is logged in.

You can also add machines to the cluster without having to install software on them - system calls are made back on the initial machine so the process always sees the files it had there. Its like plugging in a new CPU.

We've been running an OpenMOSIX cluster for a few years now, and apart from the odd problem, it works really well. Older versions of R had trouble migrating, but anything above 1.7 quickly finds itself a nice zippy host and uses that.

Note this is x86 processor only, since it's a set of patches to the linux kernel.

Baz