Thank you for your replies, David and Brian.

The function 'combn' in the package "combinat" works really fine without using any particular options.
Thanks a lot again for referring me to the package, David.

On the other hand, I do not know the meaning of "stack overflow" technically and am not interested in that.
It was the first time that I got the error.
But I am now, thanks to Brian, able to handle it by starting R with the following command-line option:

--max-ppsize=100000,

which is described in Appendix B in 'An Introduction to R'.
This is the only thing I can find in the material about 'stack'.

Kind regards,

Lee