Dear All,

I have a rather unusual problem. I have a set of data for a class in subsurface processes. From that dataset, I must calculate the slope of the best-fit line (which is the parameter of interest). The problem I have is twofold: 1) for the purposes of the exercise, I must force my best-fit line to go through the origin (0,0), and 2) the line must be linear, even though the data is not. I would like to use R to help me calculate the line, but am unaware of any code or packages that will allow me to force the line through the origin.

The dataset is as follows:

   C            C*
4.1             17.4
6.2             24.9
27.9            39.5
91.1            57.4
168.0   75.5

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.

Sincerely,

Jim Milks
Graduate Student
Environmental Sciences Ph.D. Program