Paulo Justiniano Ribeiro Jr wrote:
Adding a few more lines to this...

Don't forget that universities have to train their students with the
softwares companies are using.

What do they use? This may change among companies and countries. If we go for the majority we would probably end up teaching only Excel - and F. Harrell would be desperate :) --

Right! Universities need to teach whatever they think is best for the future, then to teach a little of whatever is necessary for the current job market (e.g., a 3-day course in SAS).

Frank Harrell

In some contries like Brazil, a software like R is doing a real revolution in practice and teaching of statistics. Access to modern statistical methods are readily accessible as they have never been before.

Several year of teaching based on commercial software have produced
negligible results compared with what are are achieving now.
This discussion reminds me a quote from Box, Hunter and Hunter book
(may not be perfectly reproduced below):

"More important than teaching statistical methods is to teach the
statistical thinking"

best
P.J.

Paulo Justiniano Ribeiro Jr
LEG (Laboratório de Estatística e Geoinformação)
Departamento de Estatística
Universidade Federal do Paraná
Caixa Postal 19.081
CEP 81.531-990