Tony Plate wrote:
There are some interesting comments re Paul Murrell's new book, R, & SAS on Andrew Gelman's blog:

http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~cook/movabletype/archives/2005/04/a_new_book_on_r.html

I found the comments quite interesting. I also find it somewhat amusing when people speculate on what is necessary "if R truly wanted to compete in that space". R doesn't "compete" with commercial software. As our co-founder and resident sage, Ross Ihaka, characterizes our approach, "We have a simple 'marketing strategy' - we put the software out there for you to use. If you decide to use it, that's great. If not, that's ok too."