hi all,

In the library ‘ade4’, there are two eigenanalysis which enable the ordination
of the categorical variables.

1- Multiple Correspondence Analysis (MCA, Tenenhaus & Young 1985) performs the
multiple correspondence analysis of a factor table (see the
function ‘dudi.acm’). this function is equivalent to functions mca of the
library(MASS)

2- the “mixed factorial analysis” (Hill & Smith 1976) enables the ordination
of tables mixing quantitative variables and factors (functions ‘dudi.mix’
or ‘dudi.hillsmith’).

I hope this helps,

P.BADY

At 15:47 21/04/2005 -0500, Chris Bergstresser wrote:
>Hi all --
>
>     I'm running a Factor Analysis on my dataset, and I've located the
> "factanal()" and "princomp()" methods.  I don't want to do a PCA, so it
> looks like I should use factanal(), but factanal() requires specifying
> the number of factors you expect from the analysis.
>    Are there any packages out there explicitly for Exploratory Factor
> Analysis that do not require specifying the number of expected factors?
>
>-- Chris

Pierre BADY             <°)))))><
Université Claude Bernard Lyon 1
UMR CNRS 5023, LEHF