mingan wrote on 5/4/2005 8:54 AM:

how do I check the rank of a matrix ?

say

A=  1   0   0
    0   1   0

then rank(A)=2

what is this function?

thanks

I did try help.search("rank"), but all the returned help information seem irrelevant to what I want.

 I would like to know how people search for help information like this.

rank(base) Sample Ranks SignRank(stats) Distribution of the Wilcoxon Signed Rank Statistic Wilcoxon(stats) Distribution of the Wilcoxon Rank Sum Statistic friedman.test(stats) Friedman Rank Sum Test kruskal.test(stats) Kruskal-Wallis Rank Sum Test pairwise.wilcox.test(stats) Pairwise Wilcoxon rank sum tests wilcox.test(stats) Wilcoxon Rank Sum and Signed Rank Tests

See ?qr or ?svd.

tol <- 1e-7
qr(A, tol)$rank
sum(svd(A)$d > tol)