Indeed it does! Sorry for the impulsive response!

Sander.

Duncan Murdoch wrote:
Sander Oom wrote:
An interesting thought just came to me when reading this discussion! I use both R and Latex and have never had the trouble of overlooking error messages when debugging long Latex code!

Of course this is because when compiling a latex document, a summary of the compilation process is provided at the end! If any errors occurred, they will be mentioned in the summary.

Maybe R could provide the same summary as an optional part of the source() command!?

I think it does, doesn't it? R will stop at the first error and print it, e.g.

 > source('c:/temp/test.R')
Error in parse(file, n = -1, NULL, "?") : syntax error on line 4

 If there were only warnings, it will show them at the end:

 > source('c:/temp/test.R')
Warning messages:
1: longer object length
        is not a multiple of shorter object length in: 1:3 + 1:4
2: longer object length
        is not a multiple of shorter object length in: 1:3 + 1:4

Even if you use echo=TRUE, these summaries show up at the end. It's only if you use cut and paste that you might miss these.

Duncan Murdoch

Dr Sander P. Oom
Animal, Plant and Environmental Sciences,
University of the Witwatersrand
Private Bag 3, Wits 2050, South Africa
Tel (work)      +27 (0)11 717 64 04
Tel (home)      +27 (0)18 297 44 51