Dear list.

New to R, I'm looking for a way of using crosstab to output low-dimensional
(higher than 2) contingency tables (frequencies, per-cents by rows, % by
columns, mean, quantiles....) I'm looking for something of the following sort

dataframe: singers,
categorical variates: voice category (soprano,mezzo-soprano, ...) , voice type(
drammatic, spinto, lirico-spinto, lirico, leggero), school (german, italian,
french, russian, anglo-saxon, other);repertory (opera, Lieder, oratorio,
operetta)
continuous variate: age

I would like to tabulate the frequencies (relative percentages)  say in the
following way
columns: school ¦ repertory
rows :      voice category ¦ voice type

or to output in the cells of the above table, the statistics
(mean/median/quantiles) for age

I've seen that the function bwplot(age~school | repertory, data= singers,
layout=c(4,2)) would do graphically something similar to what I want, but I
desire the output also in tabular form

Thanks

Isotta