mantelhaen.test() gives the exact conditional p-value (for independence) and
confidence intervals (CIs)for the common odds ratio for a stratified 2x2 table.
The epitools package by Tomas Aragon (available via CRAN) contains functions
which use fisher.test() to calculate mid-p exact p-values and CIs for the CMLE
odds ratio for a single 2x2 table. The mid-p p-value for independence for a
stratified 2x2 table is easy to calculate using mantelhaen.test(), but can
anyone suggest a method for calculation of mid-p CIs for the common odds ratio?
A search in the usual places draws a blank (but I am sure someone will
immediately prove me wrong on that point...). Thanks to Andy Dean (of Epi-Info
fame), I have a copy of public domain Pascal code from 1991 by David Martin and
Harland Austin which calculates mid-p CIs for the common odds ratio by finding
polynomial roots. Before trying to replicate that code in R (or C), I was
wondering if anyone could suggest a better or easier way?

Tim C