This will give you a matrix with the row/column names of the respective
values. Not sure what you meant by a list, but you can convert the matrix to
a list.
 > m2
a b c d e
A 1 5 9 13 17
B 2 6 10 14 18
C 3 7 11 15 19
D 4 8 12 16 20
> cbind(row=rownames(m2)[row(m2)[lower.tri(m2)]],
+ col=colnames(m2)[col(m2)[lower.tri(m2)]],
+ value=m2[lower.tri(m2)])
row col value
[1,] "B" "a" "2"
[2,] "C" "a" "3"
[3,] "D" "a" "4"
[4,] "C" "b" "7"
[5,] "D" "b" "8"
[6,] "D" "c" "12"

 On 10/31/05, Srinivas Iyyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dear Group,
> I am a novice R programmer with little statistical
> background. I am a molecular biologist by training.
> I generated a correlation matrix (157 X 157) for 157
> variables.
>
> I want to selection only the unique values (values
> that are either side of the diagnol). I want these
> unique correltaion values in a list.
>
> How can I do this. could any one help me please.
>
> thank you.
>
> sr

Jim Holtman
Cincinnati, OH
+1 513 247 0281

What the problem you are trying to solve?