Not the most forward way, but it works:

y <- lapply(split(seq(x$month), x$month), function(.x){
.max <- which.max(x$length[.x])
x[.x[.max],]
})
do.call('rbind', y)

y <- lapply(split(seq(x$month), x$month), function(.x){
data.frame(month=x$month[.x[1]], length=mean(x$length[.x]),
ratio=mean(x$ratio[.x]), monthly1=mean(x$monthly1[.x]),
monthly2=mean(x$monthly2[.x]))
})

do.call('rbind', y)

 On 11/8/05, Todd A. Gibson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello,
> I have a data manipulation problem that I can easily resolve by using
> perl or python to pre-process the data, but I would prefer to do it
> directly in R.
>
> Given, for example:
>
> month length ratio monthly1 monthly2
> 1 Jan 23 0.1 9 6
> 2 Jan 45 0.2 9 6
> 3 Jan 16 0.3 9 6
> 4 Feb 14 0.2 1 9
> 5 Mar 98 0.4 2 2
> 6 Mar 02 0.6 2 2
>
> (FWIW, monthly1 and monthly2 are unchanged for each month)
>
> I understand how to do aggregations on single fields using split and
> sapply, but how can I get entire lines. For example, For the maximum
> of data$length grouped by data$month I would like to get back some
> form of:
>
> 2 Jan 45 0.2 9 6
> 4 Feb 14 0.2 1 9
> 5 Mar 98 0.4 2 2
>
> For mean, I would like to average all columns:
>
> Jan 28 0.2 9 6
> Feb 14 0.2 1 9
> Mar 50 0.5 2 2
>
> Thank you,
> -TAG
> Todd A. Gibson

Jim Holtman
Cincinnati, OH
+1 513 247 0281

What the problem you are trying to solve?