try :
my_formula = as.formula(paste("y~",xxx))
lm(my_formula)

note that you can play with substr  in paste to change your formula
> paste("y~",substr(xxx,1,5))
[1] "y~ x1+x2"
> paste("y~",substr(xxx,4,8))
[1] "y~ x2+x3"

furthermore, with 10 predictors x1 x2 ...x10  for instence, you can
create 2 array of indice where to start and end the substr and do it in
a loop for multi fit...

best,

yves