Hi,

I am creating a multi-conditioned trellis plot. My data look something like
this:

Factor A    Factor B    IV    DV
X           1
X           2
X           3
X           4
Y           1
Y           2
Y           3
Y           5
Z           1
Z           2
Z           3
Z           4

In one sense these data are suitable for trellis because for every level of
factor A there are four levels of factor B. However, the names of the factor
B levels depend on the level of factor A.

How would I create a 3 x 4 trellis plot where each panel is a combination of
factor A and factor B where the names of factor B are preserved and the
strip has two levels, one for factor A and another for factor B?

This was more difficult than I thought because trellis wants to generate 15
panels, as there are 3 levels of factor A and 5 levels of factor B. But
these 5 levels of factor B are in name only. There are only 4 different
levels of factor B for each level of factor A.

As a work around I am considering renaming the levels in factor A from 1 to
4 for all levels of factor B. Then, write a custom strip.default to specify
the names. However, I am not sure how to write this function. Would someone
help me get started?

Thanks,
Steve