You could always use notepad, but there are better solutions.  There are
many text editors which will send the commands to R for you and return the
results and also offer syntax highlighting.  I like Tinn-R.  Xemacs is
probably the best, but its hard to learn (IMHO) and I have not taken the
time to do so.  There is also a host of GUIs that people are developing for
R.  Take a look at:
http://www.sciviews.org/_rgui/

I suggest R commander.
library(Rcmdr)