Hi all,

Why cov(y, y) only gives one value, and cov(t(y), t(y)) gives 3x3 NA matrix?

Here my y is listed below and it is a 3x1 matrix.

I am expecting that if I have a random vector y=[y1 y2 y3]', here " ' "
denotes a transposition so that

y is a column vector, where y1, y2, y3 are independent random variables...

then cov(y, y) should be

E[ y * y' ] - E[y] * E[y] ',

and it should generate an 3x3 identity matrix.

In fact, as you can see, my y below is generated by

y=[f(1)+e1, f(2)+e2, f(3)+e3]',
  =[ 1^2+e1, 2^2+e2, 3^2+e3]',
  =[ 1 + e1,  4 + e1,  9 + e1].
where f(x)=x^2, e1, e2, e3 are three independent normal(0, 1) sample
values...

so I expect the cov(y, y) will be a 3x3 identity matrix.

What's wrong here?

> cov(y, y)
         [,1]
[1,] 13.78024