Hi all,

Hi,

When I want to compute the eigenvalues & eigenvectors of a specific
matrix, R crashes (i.e. it stops responding to any input). I've tried it
with different versions of R (2.1.1, 2.2.0, 2.2.1) - all with crashing
as result.

What I did before the crash was:

M <- as.matrix(read.table("thematrix",header=T))
eigen(M)

If, instead of eigen(M), I use eigen(M, EISPACK=T), R doesn't crash. So,
I know a workaround my problem, but still don't understand why R
crashes. Could anyone explain this?
In case someone wants to download my matrix to see where it goes wrong,
it can be downloaded from http://mcs.open.ac.uk/cja235/thematrix
(warning: obviously, R might crash so save your unsaved work first).

thanks,
Casper Albers