Hi Tom,

If you assume that's a common question, and so likely to be in base,
help.search("object", package="base") calls up a list of functions relating
to objects. (Leaving off the package argument calls up a much longer one).
Browsing thru the list gets you the intriguing line:
class(base)             Object Classes

?class gets you more information about that function, which sounds
promising.

class(myobject) will tell you what class(es) myobject belongs to.

names(myobject) will show you the named "subcomponents", which can
be accessed with myobject$somename

The object in question is of the class gam (Generalized Additive
> Model). I know how to pull out some data with the "predict" function,
> but, when I try to print the value of the predict function, all I get
> is a bunch of numbers.

I'm not sure what you mean by "value of the predict function", but you
could try typing just
predict.gam
at the prompt to get some idea of what it's doing (although not necessarily
the complete source).

Sarah
--
Sarah Goslee