I like to use the RODBC package for doing this.  Here is my code sample:

        xls <-  odbcConnectExcel(fname)
        rawdata.temp <-  sqlFetch(xls, "rawdata", max=2800)
        close(xls)

fname is the full path to the file and "rawdata" is the name of the excel
sheet I want to import.  I tried one other approach (I think it was read.xls())
and that approach used perl scripts to read in the xls file and was very
slow.  RODBC is very fast and has always worked great for me.  Haven't tried
any of the other ways mentioned.