----- Original Message -----
From: MARK LEEDS
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, May 14, 2006 9:49 PM
Subject: simple .bat question but i can't find out where to post. my
apologiesfor posting a non R question

I have what I think is a simple .bat question but i can't figure out where to
post it ( i spent 6 hours looking through tutorials on batch commands but i
haven't had success .

Here is my question if anyone wouldn't mind answering :

previously, i was on linux and tickerFileToSimulate was a file that contained a
line in the top say "japan".

I had shell script in linux that had the following 2 lines in it.

TICKER_FILE = 'cat tickerFileToSimulate'
file = $TICKER_FILE

in this way, the variable $file was set equal to japan.

I CANNOT find how to do the equivalent in a .bat file on windows XP.

if someone could give me a place to post or tell me how to do it, it would be
really great and again i am sorry for posting this question.