I am today where Alastiar was back in August 2005.  I am considering buying
a 64 bit machine with 16GB of memory to run bigger objects in R, which
brougt me down the Linux path.  The problem is that my company's IT staff
doesn't support Linux and this path was getting very bumpy for me, so I am
oscilating back towards 64bit Windows.  I thought the lack of a 64
bit Windows binary was due to there being no open-source gcc compiler for
64bit Windows, but reading Prof. Ripley reply seems to imply that I could
not even buy a compiler and compiler the source code myself because there
are none that treat a long as 64 bits.  Is that the only remaining obstacle
and does that obstacle still exist?

Thanks,

Roger