>   - the open source compiler FreePascal potentially allows to compile for
> other platforms
>     (http://www.freepascal.org/wiki/index.php/Platform_list).
>     [while I am interested in this for reasons of completeness, it's
> unlikely that I will
>     look into it soon without somebody funding. The Linux people probably
> won't care anyway
>     and just for macs, hmm, there are still much other things I'd like to
> look into]

I got an email which kind of said that my use of "Linux people" is
disrespectful and could imply that people who use Linux couldn't afford to
supply fundings.

It is *absolutely* not meant like this, I personally have Linux machines
(Debian, now Ubuntu) but currently use Windows more. My server is Suse. I
just wanted to express, that on linux afaik the people don't have the data
in xls-format and prefer the text format. It's from hearsay/newsgroup/and my
impression from a R-course. On Macs I personally know people who do a PhD
and have their data in Excel. So I though, they could be interested.

English is not my native language. Sorry for writing in a sloppy way.
Hans-Peter