If you'd like to have accurate second derivatives, then check out the
"numDeriv" package, and in particular, the function "hessian".  The
derivatives are based on Richardson extrapolation, and can be evaluated to a
very high degree of accuracy.

Ravi.

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor,  The Center on Aging and Health
Johns Hopkins University
Ph: (410) 502-2619
Fax: (410) 614-9625
Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]