        From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Iuri
Gavronski
        Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2006 1:26 PM
        To: Doran, Harold
        Cc: r-help@stat.math.ethz.ch
        Subject: Re: [R] Variance Components in R

        I am trying to replicate Finn and Kayandé (1997) study on G-theory
application on Marketing. The idea is to have people evaluate some aspects of
service quality for chains on different economy sectors. Then, conduct a
G-study to identify the generalizability coefficient estimates for different
D-study designs.
        I have persons rating 3 different items on 3 different aspects of
service quality on 3 chains on 3 sectors. It is normally assumed on G-studies
that the factors are random. So I have to specify a model to estimate the
variance components of CHAIN SECTOR RESP ASPECT ITEM, and the interaction of
SECTOR*RESP SECTOR*ASPECT SECTOR*ITEM CHAIN*RESP CHAIN*ASPECT CHAIN*ITEM
RESP*ASPECT RESP*ITEM SECTOR*RESP*ASPECT SECTOR*RESP*ITEM CHAIN*RESP*ASPECT.
'*' in VARCOMP means a crossed design.
        Evaluating only the two dimensions interactions (x*y) ran in few
minutes with the full database. Including three interactions (x*y*z) didn't
complete the execution at all. I have the data and script sent to a professor
of the department of Statistics on my university and he could not run it on
either SPSS or SAS (we don't have SAS licenses here at the business school,
only SPSS). Nobody here at the business school has any experience with R, so I
don't have anyone to ask for help.
        Ì am not sure if I have answered you question, but feel free to ask it
again, and I will try to restate the problem.

        Best regards,

        Iuri