Continuing to try to customize my environment for using R under
Windoze, I experimented with installing a package from CRAN in a
local library ``Lib''.

I created the directory ``Lib'' in the folder in which R starts,
and then executed

        > install.packages("abind",lib="Lib")

Everything went according to form (I got prompted to choose a mirror,
etc.) until the end of the show when I got the warning message

Warning: unable to move temporary installation 'C:\Documents and
Settings\rolf\My Documents\Rstuff\Lib\file5f906952\Lib\file5f906952\abind to
'C:\Documents and Settings\rolf\My Documents\Rstuff\Lib\file5f906952\Lib\abind'

[I have folded the foregoing warning --- which came out as a single line ---
to make it fit in an 80 character wide screen.]

[I was also told that the ``downloaded packages are in ...'', and when
I looked in the indicated folder the zip file was indeed there ---
but a fat lot of good that does me.]

The warning was more like an *error*. When this had finished, the folder
Lib was empty; no sign of the file5f906952 stuff, or anything else.

Can anyone explain to me what's going on/wrong?  There is no problem
apparently if I do

        > install.packages("abind")

which installs into the ``system'' library.  In current circumstances
this is good enough --- since I have write permission on the ``system''
library, I can just use that.  So this is, for the moment, an
academic question.  Still the facility seems to be *there* for
installing to a local user-owned library, and it seems not to be
working for me, and I'd like to figure out why.

I thought for a moment that I'd found the problem a little while
back, when I noticed that ``Lib'' was ``Readonly''.  But then
when I tried to change that --- ``unclicking'' the Readonly box
in the ``Properties'' of Lib --- I found that I couldn't.  When
I looked at the Properties again, I found it was back to being
Readonly again.  (With no warning or error message of any kind.)
Some further investigation seemed to indicate that *all* folders
are Readonly.  (Is this really as it should be?  And if so, what's
the point of having this property for folders?)

Can anyone enlighten me?

                                cheers,

                                        Rolf Turner
                                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]