HI,

I am trying to figure out an efficient way to calculate group means and
associate each entry with it. I made up an example:

 A = rep(rep(0:1,each=2),3)
 B = rep(rep(0:1,4),3)
 C = rep(rep(c(0,0,1,1),2),3)
 X =cbind(rnorm(24,0,1),runif(24,0,1),A,B,C)
                                          A B C
 [1,] -1.92926469 0.32213127 0 0 0
 [2,] -0.83935617 0.77794096 0 1 0
 [3,] -1.27799751 0.26276934 1 0 1

Suppose I want to compute a weighted mean of X[,1] by for each group, which
is defined by unique vector (A,B,C) with weights are X[,2]. And then add a
column for the weighted group mean. How can I do this ?  My matrix is fairly
large (few thousands) but, luckily, I have only a few factors (<10).

Thanks a lot,

Young.