Thanks Manuel,
My only problems with the approach you suggest is that it does not seem to
result in a random sample without replacement as it generates a sample based
on the a priori probabilities, not physical selection and deletion from
subsequent sampling.  I beleive the sample function would achieve the same
result if I supplied probabilities.  Second, unfortunately I have many zero
values as is often the case in ecological data!   Thanks again to everyone
for their help so far.  Physical selection is probably the only option for
sampling without replacement.  brian