On 10/29/2006 1:12 AM, Jesse Albert Canchola wrote:
> I'm using R on Windows XP Professional SP2.
>
> I figured out the fix for my buffer overflow problem that did not allow me
> to use Rgui.exe for about two weeks.  I would keep getting "console not
> found" and even when I uninstalled and re-installed got the same problem.
>
> Here's how the problem started.  In Rgui.exe, I attempted to get more
> visible output in the buffer (I wanted to be able to scroll up the to the
> top and see the variable names, etc.), so I put the max of all 9's in the
>
> Rgui.exe
>
> pull-down menus
>
> Edit > Gui Preferences... > buffer bytes 9999999999999
>
> and
>
>> lines 9999999999999999999
>
> not realizing this would effectively break the Rgui.exe and no matter what
> you did to clean R out of your machine and re-install it, you would get
> the same thing (with both v2.3.1 and v2.4.0).  After a couple of weeks of
> using Rterm.exe and meeting deadlines, I finally had time to wade through
> the vague references online regarding where the problem might be.

Thanks for the report.  I'll take a look and see if there's a more
friendly way to handle this.

Generally starting with the --vanilla option is a good idea to help with
diagnosing startup problems.  If they go away, you've got a problem in
one of your startup files, and ?Startup tells you how to trace through
the startup process.

Duncan Murdoch