if the return is assumed zero, the epsilon t sequared is the variance of
the return but the epsilon_t is not the return. i think we should
have a conversation off line because i don't want to bother the whole
list with this. what the original email said is still incorrect,
( see below ) but, if all you are saying that the variance,
sigma_squared,  is expectation of epslion_t squared term is when the
mean is zero, i agree with you.

the return  itself, r_t, is still a  normal random variable times this
"innovation" as you put it so you can't build an arma or an arima or
whatever for the return. if you want to build one for the return squared
( dont' subtract a mean because it's already zero ) ,
that's fine but then you are really building one for the variance.  so,
the original should have had epsilon_t squared in the transformed
equation,
NOT r_t ^2. r_t is still equal to epsilon_t*z_t and e(r_t)^2=
sigma_squared but r_t^2 is not the same as the epsilon_t^2.   if this
isn't clear,
i don't know what else to say.