You want to "reshape" from "wide" into "long" format: see "help(reshape)".

For your example this should look something like

df2 <- reshape(df1, varying=list(c("resist","thick","temp")), direction="long",
                       v.names=c("Value"), timevar="Param",
                       idvar="ID", times=c("resist","thick","temp"))

will give you roughly what you want - maybe not in the exact order as listed
below for df2, but you can "sort' then.

You are "merging" all value for three variables in the wide format, into one
variable ("Value") in the "long" format...

Try it, I did not test the above, but have done similar things before along
those lines.

Michael Jerosch-Herold

>>> "Thorsten Muehge" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 11/07/06 1:10 AM >>>

Hello Experts,
how do I reformat a data frame in the way described below:

df1:
ID desc resist thick temp
1 4711 100 5 20
2 4712 101 4 21