Thanks, let me try to clarify my question with an example.

Suppose I have the following data:

Gender,   Major,  Course-Grade
F, Psy, 3.5
F, Psy, 3.1
M, Hst, 3.7
F,  Hst,  3.6
M, Hst,  2.6
M, Eng, 3.9

I want to compute a table like the following:

Y-axis: Major
Cell(x,y) = mean course-grade

So for example, with the data above:

          F     M
Psy |   3.3    NA
Hst |   3.6    3.15
Eng |  NA    3.9

If I were doing this in SQL I'd do it with a cross-tab query.  But the world
of R still has much unfamiliar terrain :)

Thanks,
Christian