Dear all,
    I'm interested in fitting a classification tree by using a user-specified
splitting criterion. If I am right,  Tree package allows to use only "deviance"
or "gini" while rpart package offers  "anova", "poisson", "class" or "exp". and
tries to make an intelligent guess if method is missing.
I also found that, in rpart, method can be a list of functions named init,
split and eval but I really don't know how can I do it.  Does someone can
suggest me some documentation I can have a look do define my splitting
criterion and pass it to rpart ?
Thanks
Paolo

Paolo Radaelli
Dipartimento di Metodi Quantitativi per le Scienze Economiche ed Aziendali
Facoltà di Economia
Università degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca
e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]