The reason that I used the as.matrix is because I understood that everything
in the data.frame had to be either numeric or character. Most of mine were
factors.
Thank you so much for finding my elusive spelling mistake. I removed the
offending "d"  from "measured" and now it works. However, I have run into a
different sort of a problem and appreciated the error message but it is not
leading me to the solution.
> casted<-cast(melted,SAMPLE_ID+ASSAY_ID~GENOTYPE_ID)
Error in check_formula(formula, varnames) :
        Formula contains variables not in list of known variables

yet look at this
 unique(melted$variable)
[1] GENOTYPE_ID DESCRIPTION
Levels: GENOTYPE_ID DESCRIPTION