Hello,

I'm trying to adapt some R code that works on Windows so that it will work
on a Linux machine.

The command :

png("myFile.png", width=600, height=600)

fails claiming that it is impossible to establish a connection with X11.
(Error messages are in French, so I'm not pasting them here!)

I have libpng installed:

>rpm -qa libpng*

libpng-1.0.12-2

libpng-devel-1.0.12-2

So I don't understand why R thinks I'm trying to connect to X11. I haven't
been able to find many examples of R graphics code specifically for Linux,
but I have the impression that if libpng is installed, the graphics commands
are identical. The libpng manual is not useful, because it does not mention
use of libpng commands in an R environment.

I'm using R 2.4.1, which I recently installed. Do I have to install a more
recent libpng ? If so, do I have to reconfigure and remake R ?

I've also read that no graphics devices are available under R CMD BATCH.
Does that really mean that I can't create graphics from some R code that I
launch in noninteractive mode?

Thanks in advance !

Rebecca Tagett