Thank you for your answer. When I set options(width=250) I still get the
same result when I print the data.frame on my Rgui console (R 2.4.1, Windows
XP). Colums become underneath each other. I also get an error (?) message [
reached getOption("max.print") -- omitted 3462 rows ]]. For example if I
have a data.frame with 4000 rows and 200 columns I would like to be able to
use scroll bars in Rconsole to investigate the whole data.frame.

btw, R is very useful system, my sincere thanks goes to R developers!

-Lauri