One of the reasons it might not be working is that you are changing the
index of the 'for' within the loop.  The following is from the help page for
'for':

The index seq in a for loop is evaluated at the start of the loop; changing
it subsequently does not affect the loop. The variable var has the same type
as seq, and is read-only: assigning to it does not alter seq. If seq is a
factor (which is not strictly allowed) then its internal codes are used: the
effect is that of
as.integer<mk:@MSITStore:C:\PROGRA~1\R\R-24~1.1\library\base\chtml\base.chm::/integer.html>not
as.vector<mk:@MSITStore:C:\PROGRA~1\R\R-24~1.1\library\base\chtml\base.chm::/vector.html>.

On 2/10/07, Bart Joosen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an integer which is extracted from a dataframe, which is sorted by
> another column of the dataframe.
> Now I would like to remove some elements of the integer, which are near to
> others by their value. For example: integer: c(1,20,2,21) should be c(1,20).
>
> I tried to write a function, but for some reason, somethings won't work
>
> x <- 1:20
> near <- function(x,th) {
>    nr <- NROW(x)
>        for (i in 1:(nr-1)){
>        for (j in (i+1):nr){
>            if (j > nr) break
>            t=0
>            if (abs(x[i] - x[j]) < th) t = 1
>            if (t== 1) x <- x[-j]
>            if (t== 1) nr <- nr-1
>            if (t== 1) j <- (j-1)
>            cat (" i",i," j",j,"\n")
>            }}
> }
> near(x,10)
>

> This gives you 1  3  7 13 17 while I was suspecting 1, 20 as the outcome.
> If you look at the intermediate results of the cat instruction, you see
> that, after he substracted a number, he skipped the next one.
>
> Sorting the integer is not an option, the order is important.
> I used an integer from 1:20 as an example, while x <- sample((1:20),20) is
> maybe a bit more representable for our data, but isn't reproducible for the
> output of the function.
>
> Maybe there is already an R-function, which does such thing, or what is
> wrong with my coding?
>

> thanks a lot for your time
>

> Bart

Jim Holtman