Jason Barnhart wrote:
> [...]

Slightly more precisely: It creates user-defined formats, which are
subsequently associated with variables and used for reading, printing,
tabulating, and analyzing data. It is akin to R's factor()
constructions, but not quite. For one thing, SAS's formats are separate
entities - same format can be used for many variables, whereas R's
factors have the formatting coded as a part of the object. For related
reasons, a variable in SAS can have more distinct values than there are
value labesl for, etc.
> It looks this:
>
>     proc format; value kanefmt 1='A' 2='B' 3='C' 4='X' 5='Throw me
> out';
>     data temp; do i=1 to 10; kanevar=put(i,kanefmt.); output; end;
>     proc print; run;
>
> And produces this:
>
> Obs     i      kanevar
>   1     1    A
>   2     2    B
>   3     3    C
>   4     4    X
>   5     5    Throw me out
>   6     6               6
>   7     7               7
>   8     8               8
>   9     9               9
>  10    10              10
>

> But it is more robust than what is shown here.

   O__  ---- Peter Dalgaard             Ă˜ster Farimagsgade 5, Entr.B
~~~~~~~~~~ - ([EMAIL PROTECTED])                  FAX: (+45) 35327907