As long as you know what you are doing, and watch out carefully, then you
can do it.  BTW, I do exactly what you are saying about manipulating large
data objects.  I will use the 'indices' in functions like 'lapply' and in
the body of the function reference that data that is held in the global
object.  Very seldom, I will change data with the "<<-", but that is usually
after I have exhausted some other approaches. Globals, and 'gotos' are a
necessary evil, but I have learned how to write programs with goto's after a
lot of effort.

--
Jim Holtman
Cincinnati, OH