Dear ListeRs,

I am trying to fit a heteroscedastic multilevel model using lmer{lme4-
package). Take, for instance, the (fictive) model below.

lmer(test.result ~ homework + Sex -1 + (1 | School))

Suppose that I suspect the error terms in the predicted values to
differ between men and women (so, on the first level). In order to
model this, I want the 'Sex'-variable to be random on the first
level, as described in Snijders & Bosker, page 110.

Does anybody know if this is possible and how this can be done using R?

Many thanks in advance.

Rense Nieuwenhuis

PS. Please excuse me for not providing a self-contained example. I
couldn't find a data-set in the lme4-package that fitted my question.