If you read the help page it says

     Summarize information about installed packages and packages
     available at various repositories, and automatically upgrade
     outdated packages.
   avail: a data frame with columns as the _matrix_ returned by
          'available.packages' plus '"Status"', a factor with levels
          'c("installed", "not installed", "unavailable")'..

so this is 'available' as in 'available.packages' (qv).

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007, Fernando Mayer wrote:

Hello,

when I run packageStatus(), I get the following results:

> packageStatus()
Number of installed packages:

                            ok upgrade unavailable
  /home/fernando/my_library 38       0           1
  /usr/local/lib/R/library  28       0           0

Number of available packages (each package/bundle counted only once):

                                         installed not installed
  http://cran-r.c3sl.ufpr.br/src/contrib        51           957

i.e., there is an unavailable package in my personal library. With,

> summary(packageStatus())

I see that the unavailable package is one that I have done and
installed via R CMD INSTALL. Although it says it is unavailable, I can
load the package with library() and use its functions in the usual way.

There is no problem at all here since I can use the functions. I was
just curious about what really means this "unavailable"
classification. My guess is that this a package that is not on CRAN (?).

No, not on the repositories you specified.

This is

> version
               _
platform       i686-pc-linux-gnu
arch           i686
os             linux-gnu
system         i686, linux-gnu
status
major          2
minor          4.1
year           2006
month          12
day            18
svn rev        40228
language       R

Thanks for any explanations,
---
Fernando Mayer
Fisheries Study Group
Technology, Earth and Ocean Sciences Center
University of Vale do ItajaĆ­
ItajaĆ­ - SC - Brazil

PLEASE do.

--
Brian D. Ripley,                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]