John:

Thanks for your reply, I spent some time on this and the conclusion is
it works:

top<- tktoplevel()
mainFrame <- tkcanvas(top)

both top and mainFrame can be used as parameters to pass to other
function. The name, however, will conflict each other if they are
defined in the same environment, which means if you have another top and
mainFrame passed to another function, the GUIs will get to the same
container. To avaoid this, better  use different name.

I wonder if there is a way for me to create an env and eliminate an env
dynamically, I will try to get some information, but I definitely
welcome some quick inputs...

Thanks
Hao