If I understood correctly, the initial post asked for a vector of the same
length as the original one. This is why I suggested:

       tapply(Measure,Month,mean)[as.character(Month)]

btw, this is handy way to compute deviations from the means of subgroups (x
- tapply(x, group, mean)[as.character(group)])

Christophe Pallier

Christophe Pallier (http://www.pallier.org)