I have numerous replicated goodness-of-fit experiments (observed compared to
expected counts in categories) and these
replicates are nested within a factor.
The expected counts in each cell are external (from a
scientific model being tested).  The
calculations I need within each level of the nesting factor are a heterogeneity
G test, with the total G and the pooled G across replicates.  Then I would like
to form an F ratio equal to
the ratio of pooled G divided by its degrees of freedom to heterogeneity G
divided
by its degrees of freedom.  The F ratio
would (I think) test the hypothesis that the badness-of-fit in the pooled data
is greater than would be expected by chance from the heterogeneity among
replicates.

It seems that the function loglm is the closest within R to what I want.  But I
can¢t see
how it can be used when the expected
proportions are externally provided.

I¢ve appended here a function I wrote that more or less does
what I want (with the nesting factor ignored) but I would prefer to use
something
like loglm because of the additional information it offers and its
flexibility with hierarchical models.

Thanks,

Stu

---------

hetg = function() {

#creating some fake data

tran=gl(10,10)   #tran
are the random replicates

cov= factor(rep(1:10,10))
#10 levels of this factor for each level of tran

tleng = c(219, 312, 178, 322, 311, 242, 235, 235, 266, 193)
#weighting for

   #each transect (of
each level of tran)

obscounts = rpois(100, 50)
#these are the observed response count data

expprop = rep(c(.1, .1, .1, .05, .15, .1, .1, .1, .1, .1),
10)  #expected

   # proportion of
counts within 10 levels within each level of tran

vv = tapply(obscounts, tran, sum) #get marginal sum of
counts

rr = rep(vv, each=10) #rep the marginal sums across each
cell

expcounts = expprop*rr #the vector of expected counts

#Now calculate the G for each level of tran (likelihood
ratios)

G = vector()

for (i in levels(tran)) {

   obsi =
obscounts[tran==i]

   expi =
expcounts[tran==i]

   G[i] =
2*sum((obsi*log(obsi/expi)))

}

dfs = rep(max(as.integer(levels(cov)))-1, max(as.integer(levels(cov))))

probs = pchisq(G, dfs, lower.tail=F)  #and the lower tail probability of the G

   #get a weighted
average for the pooled expectations

    weightexp = list()

    weights = vector()

    for (i in
levels(tran)) {

      expi = expprop[tran==i]

      lengi =
tleng[as.integer(i)]

      counti =
sum(obscounts[tran==i])

      weightexp[[i]] =
expi*lengi*counti

      weights[i] =
lengi*counti

    }

    sum = rep(0,
length(weightexp[[1]]))

    for (i in
1:length(weightexp)) {

      sum = sum +
weightexp[[i]]

    }

    expproppooled =
sum/sum(weights)

    #Now the pooled G

    obs =
tapply(obscounts,cov,sum)

    exp =
expproppooled*sum(obs)

    Gp =
2*sum(obs*log(obs/exp))

    dfp =  max(as.integer(levels(cov)))-1

    probp = pchisq(Gp,
dfp, lower.tail=F)

    #total G

    Gt = sum(G)

    dft = sum(dfs)

    probt = pchisq(Gt,
dft, lower.tail=F)

    #heterogeneity G

    Gh = Gt-Gp

    dfh = dft - dfp

    probh = pchisq(Gh,
dfh, lower.tail=F)

    #F ratio

    Fratio =
(Gp/dfp)/(Gh/dfh)

    probf = pf(Fratio,
dfp, dfh, lower.tail=F)

res = list(TotG=c(Gt, dft, probt), PooledG=c(Gp, dfp,
probp),

HetG=c(Gh, dfh, probh), Fratio=c(Fratio, dfp, dfh, probf))

res

 } #end hetg