> path.expand("~")
[1] "/home/maechler"

    RobMcG> R-Help,
    RobMcG> I discovered a "mis-feature" is ghostscript, which is used by the
bitmap
    RobMcG> function. It seems that specifying file names in the form
"~/abc.png"
    RobMcG> rather than "/home/directory/abc.png" causes my GS to crash when I
open
    RobMcG> the bitmap device on my Linux box.

    RobMcG> The easiest solution would seem to be to intercept any file names
in the
    RobMcG> form "~/abc.png" and replace the "~" with the user's home
directory. I'm
    RobMcG> sure I could come up with something involving regular expressions
and
    RobMcG> system calls to do this in Linux, but even that might not be system
    RobMcG> independent. So, I wanted to see if anyone knew of a native R
solution
    RobMcG> of converting "~" to its full path expansion.

    RobMcG> Thanks,
    RobMcG> Robert