On 6/8/07, Douglas Bates <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Other responses in this thread have mentioned 'little language'
> filters like awk, which is fine for those who were raised in the Bell
> Labs tradition of programming ("why type three characters when two
> character names should suffice for anything one wants to do on a
> PDP-11") but the typical field scientist finds this a bit too terse to
> understand and would rather write a filter as a paragraph of code that
> they have a change of reading and understanding a week later.

Hum,

Concerning awk, I think that this comment does not apply: because the
language is simple and and somewhat limited, awk scripts are typically quite
clean and readable (of course, it is possible to write horrible code in any
languages).

I have introduced awk to dozens of people (mostly scientists in social
sciences, and dos/windows users...) over the last 15 years  it is sometimes
the only programming language they know and they are very happy with what
they can do with it.

The philosophy of using it as a filter (that is, a converter) is also good
because many problems are best solved in 2 or 3 steps (2/3 short scripts run
sequentially) rather than in one single step,as people tend to do with
languages that encourage to use more complex data structures than
associative arrays.

It could be argued that awk is the swiss army knife of simple text
manipulations. All in all, awk+R is very efficient combination for data
manipulation (at least for the cases I have encountered).

It would a pity if your remark led people to overlook awk as it would
efficiently solve many of the input parsing problems that are posted on this
list (I am talking here about extracting information from text files, not
data entry).

awk, like R, is not exempt of defects, yet both are tools that one gets
attached to because they increase your productivity a lot.

--
Christophe Pallier (http://www.pallier.org)