[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Here are a few additional comments related to the representation issue in
> .csv files:
> What is said about the .csv files with respect to rounding also holds for the
> windows clipboard but not for the office clipboard. If you format data in an
> excel range, select this range and paste it on a different worksheet (within
> MS Office) the original representation is kept. That is, you can undo the
> formating in the new copy. However, if you read the data into R using the
> clipboard as a data source, only the formated version is transfered. I played
> a bit with options and it really seems a clipboard implementation issue (a
> job for Microsoft). Any lobbying wit MS to permit a better access to the
> office clipboard would be useful in this context.

I did write some code to give access to special formats in the Windows
clipboard.  If you can figure out what's there you should have access to
it from R using getClipboardFormats and readClipboard. I think the only
lobbying that would be needed would be to reveal the format, and that
may have already been done.

Duncan Murdoch