Hi all,

thanks to the people who replied to my question! I finally solved the
issue by writing own handlers and using xmlEventParse - which leads
to the following problem which is so odd that its probably a bug.

I use several special charachter in my XML-File, e.g. umlauts or ° or
µ - but no matter how I encode my XML (UTF or ISO) or I escape these
characters xmlEventParse always stops parsing after the first umlaut
and pretends to have more than one node even if there is really just
one!

Example:

<locations>abc  aböcd   abdec</locations>

causes two events for locations and produces output in the form of:

        [,1]    [,2]    [,3]
[1,]    abc
[2,]    aböcd   abdec

Should it be like that? If I remove the umlauts, than everything is
fine!

If I do the following:

<locations>öabc aböcd   abdec</locations>

the output is

[1,]    öabc    aböcd   abdec

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance and many greetings!