Thanks for the suggestion. I do have a configure script (that is what is reading the --with-netica arg) but I didn't think about searching the standard install locations. I can probably use that to work around this problem.

However, that doesn't completely solve the problem. If I want to force the configure script to use a non-standard location (say to use an experimental version of the library), I still need to be able to pass configure args to INSTALL and check. I admit the need for doing this with build is a little bit less clear, although it is also unclear why build (which is making a source tarball) needs to compile the C code.

        --Russell