On 25/04/2018 1:32 PM, Sarah Goslee wrote:
Don't change the working directory! That has all kinds of unpleasant
side effects for the unsuspecting user, possibly even more so than
writing to a file.

Instead, write the file to the temp directory, and read it from there, with e.g.

wd <- tempdir()
write(dat, file.path(wd, 'Ttest_1981-2000.dat'))

Using file.path() means that the appropriate path delimiter for that
OS will be used.

That's one good way to do it. But it is possible to change directory and change back at the end of the example. For example,

wd <- tempdir()
savedir <- setwd(wd)

... # the original code that writes and reads in the current dir

setwd(savedir)

There's a worry that an error in the middle of the code will leave the user in the wrong place. If that's really unlikely to happen, then this code is a little simpler than Sarah's suggestion.

If it is likely, you can use tryCatch(..., finally = setwd(savedir)), but I think Sarah's solution would be preferable in most cases: many users will not understand what tryCatch() does.

Duncan Murdoch

Sarah